A blog about the unexpected pleasures of raising two not so typical, but truly wonderful girls, one of whom was born with a little something extra; and learning each day what is truly important in this blessed life.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

New Year, new lease on life

Not sure what happened back in October that made me take such a long break, other than the sheer craziness of the succession of fall holidays with added errands to run, parties to go to, shopping to be done, Christmas programs to attend, etc., etc.  We had good days and not so good days, but were able to do most of what we had hoped to do, such as attend Christmas Eve Mass as a family finally.  Spouse plays guitar sometimes at Mass and he was up front with the other musicians, but Nadia, Marisa, Grandpa (My Dad) and I had good seats, and were able to worship together along with a huge crowd of people we know and people who just showed up for the special occasion.   We made it to Marisa's first Christmas Program at her new school and she did a great job.  Her aid really showed us what a gift she is with the program.  Her kids go to a different school and they had a performance the same night as Marisa's.  Her kids also had an afternoon performance, so she arranged to go to that so she could be there to see Marisa perform in the evening.  She does things like that and endears herself to me more and more the more I get to know her. 

Now that we've recycled the 2010 calendars and hung up the 2011 ones, I look forward to gradually making some positive changes in my life and home environment.  I've been steadily sorting, cleaning, donating and generally downsizing the stuff in and around our home.  I got through most of the stacks of papers sitting on my dining room table (my home office area) before the holidays and am trying not to let too much accumulate there now.  My goal is to have a place for everything and everything in its place early on this year, so I can take a deep breath and enjoy the absence of clutter, in my life and hopefully in my brain as well!    I'm trying new recipes and focusing on adding more healthy ingredients to our daily meals.  I cooked a big batch of kale for dinner this evening and true to form, big Sis didn't go near it, Spouse just "tried" it, and Marisa said "Yummy!"  She is truly my best eater.   I loved it too. 

I'm also trying to not be so busy all the time this year.  I love getting together with my friends but am trying to limit that to just a couple of times a week instead of meeting someone somewhere every single day.  Being at home more by myself allows me to work on the multitude of small projects around the house and offers me the time to work on the book I'm writing.   I've been enjoying some major down time this week so far, but will probably be feeling antsy by next week and asking for more coffee dates once again.  

I've been using a friend's light box to combat my self-diagnosed bout of SAD, and it seems to be working.  I've used it for a week now, in the morning while I do computer stuff, and I haven't been quite as tired or felt as overwhelmed lately.  That's the good news.  The bad news is that if I am convinced it really, truly works, I'll have to spring that budget item on Spouse and listen to his groan.  Oh well.

Here's too more good days than bad, and making small adjustments here and there that lead to a happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment