A blog about the unexpected pleasures of raising two not so typical, but truly wonderful girls, one of whom was born with a little something extra; and learning each day what is truly important in this blessed life.

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Long time no hear from

Here it is almost Thanksgiving, and I haven't posted anything for months.  So much has happened, and I've had so many thoughts rolling around in my head, but blogging just hasn't been at, or anywhere near, the top of my list of things to do.  

We had a great August and spent most of it in Connecticut and South Carolina with family.  My brother's family goes to Hilton Head Island every summer and we decided to join them there this year.  We went once before, when big Sis was little, but this was the first time Roo got to go.  We had a great time!  My brother's kids, both in college, were there, with their boyfriend and girlfriend; and my sister-in-law's parents joined us as well as my Dad, just a few months out from major heart surgery.   Roo got to spend tons of time in the pool, and she also loved the dolphin cruise, tubing, and even parasailing!  Roo and I went up in the parasail over Calibogue Sound together.  It wasn't scary at all and we both had huge smiles on our faces the entire time.  The only moment that had me worried was when we were high in the sky and Marisa said, "Let's jump!"  Mind you, she was very firmly strapped in, but I didn't expect her to say that.  She is so much fun to travel with now.  She really gets into whatever we're doing and seems to be up for anything.  I love that about her! 

September brought a new teacher, new routine, and a different door to go in at school.  She is now in 2nd grade, but until recently she would say she was in 1st grade if you asked her.  I realized that was wishful thinking on her part because she LOVED 1st grade and she also loves the former Kindies who are now in 1st grade.  She likes to stop by the classroom and say hello every now and then, and they welcome her. 

Sadly, one of the reasons I haven't written anything in a while is the other craziness we've been going through almost since school started.  Just over a week into the school year, Roo contracted pneumonia, and it took a long, long time to resolve.  She missed at least 8 days then, and last week her illness came back!  I think the bacteria weren't totally killed off the first time, even with 3 different antibiotics, and that her illness just lay dormant waiting to rear up again.  Her pneumonia is settled back in the exact same area in her left lung as before, so that adds to my theory.  She has been out since Thursday last week and it's already Thursday this week.  When she goes down, she really goes down.  But that said, she has been at home the whole time and we've actually had some really lovely moments hanging out together.  She has continued with her daily out-loud reading, even if she has to stop for coughing fits now and then, and we had a great game of Go Fish a while ago.  So, it's not all bad.

And, the great news is that over all, Roo is doing really well this year at school!  She has the same aid with her and is making progress in all areas. Her reading is really picking up speed and the best part is she really likes doing it!  She isn't at grade level, but that is not my expectation.  My expectation is that she will continue to make progress over time and attain the level in all areas that is right for her.  This will be done with ample support but also with knowing when to let her soar on her own.  She has shown this ability over and over again and her strengths are many.

The other reason I've not been doing much in terms of my own personal writing lately is because I am the Publicity Director for Roo's school's Auction this year and it is a big job.  It's fun and I am even learning a thing or two in upgrading my computer skills, but I didn't realize how much time the volunteer job would actually take.  At least I can do most of it via email, so that has helped me deal with the load. 

I'd like to think I could actually put down in words on this blog all the thoughts rolling around in my head and keep up to date in chronicling my children's lives, but I don't have the best track record thus far.  If anyone still looks at this blog ever, please wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. We live not to far from Hilton Head and hope to plan a visit there soon! Hope Roo is well on the mend from the pneumonia!

    ReplyDelete