A blog about the unexpected pleasures of raising two not so typical, but truly wonderful girls, one of whom was born with a little something extra; and learning each day what is truly important in this blessed life.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A pick me up

Too much going on around here lately including the need to schedule appointments to get vision checked and work on various medical issues, and not for Roo, but for her Big Sis.  I have a friend whose son has the same medical condition as Big Sis, and he has had a really hard case to crack, much more so than Nadia's.  My friend  and I talk about how we can't imagine making it through a month, let alone a week, without some sort of crisis in our lives.  Truly if it's not one thing, it's another.

One way I de-stress in the evenings is to browse many of the wonderful blogs I've stumbled across in my online travels.  There is so much joy and obvious love out there in families with kids with Down syndrome and other disabilities, and there's a great vicarious pleasure in seeing, and remotely sharing in, their children's triumphs.  There is also risk in reading intimate details shared over the blogosphere.  I've cried many times for children far and wide whom I will never know.  I've prayed for many people whose stories have touched my heart as well.

I've always said the Internet is a source for "evil" in certain content, but also a source for great good.  The more people blog about their loved ones with disabilities, the more barriers will ultimately be brought down.  Their love is palpable, it flows right off the monitor screen.  We all love our kids, but there is something even more special about the drive to adopt children, especially children that society once just threw away.  Reading the adoption blogs, and all the other wonderful family blogs, is a great pick me up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment