A blog about the unexpected pleasures of raising two not so typical, but truly wonderful girls, one of whom was born with a little something extra; and learning each day what is truly important in this blessed life.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Speech Arts Competition

At Roo's school (Big Sis's school for 9 years too), one of the events that all the students participate in is the annual Speech Arts Competition.  Kids and/or their parents pick a short piece of poetry, prose, an excerpt from a book, Bible verse, etc.; anything that is appropriate for the child's level and fits into the categories of Religious, Humorous, or Serious. The children present their speech selection, memorized not read, in their classrooms first, then the classroom winners go on to compete against children from other grades in a school wide competition.  When Big Sis was there, until just last year, the kids all competed against each other, so a cute little Kindy would be up against a polished, competitive 8th grader.  Oftentimes the Kindy would win because they were just so darn cute and they memorized their piece and presented it flawlessly.  Last year the structure changed so that K-2nd competed, then 3-5, and finally 6-8.  That made more sense. 

Big Sis won in her category in the classroom almost every year.  One year she didn't win was first grade.  Roo was in the NICU during that time of the year and I had no heart/drive/ability to help Sis prep.  In second grade, Big Sis even wrote her own piece and the judges let her present it because they were so impressed with what she had done.  She won in the classroom but didn't in the school wide competition, even though she got an "A for effort" nod from the judges.  Her poem was called "Noah Built an Ark," and it was a funny takeoff on the Bible story.  She did a great job with it and I have a copy to give to her when she has kids of her own.  After winning the in the classroom several years, it dawned on her that winning meant she would have to go on to face standing up on the big stage and doing her thing in front of the whole school, school staff, most of the parents, and other interested parties.  Over time she began to dread that possibility more than probably death itself, and by the end of her school career, 7th & 8th grades, it was obvious that she wasn't even trying in the classroom competition anymore.  I enjoy public speaking and have no problem (well almost) with it now, but it took many, many years for me to develop that skill.  I was not a natural at a young age.

Now it's Roo's turn to participate in the event.  I fretted for a while over what to choose for her.  Her teacher had said not to make it too short.  What could she memorize?  What would she like to do?  Too many questions and too much procrastinating on my part (my usual M.O.).  So, I finally started googling Kindergarten speech selections for her.  Yes she is in first grade, but I didn't want to choose something that wouldn't be appropriate for her.  I want her to have fun with this and want to do it again next year.  

I found a sweet little religious piece by a 19th century British poet named Christina Rosetti.  Roo likes it and her aid has already come up with some cute hand motions to accompany her recitation.  She has until April 27th to prepare for the classroom competition.  I'll be proud of her no matter how she does!

My Gift
 by Christina Rosetti

What will I give Him,
Poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd,
I would give a lamb.
If I were a wise man,
I would do my part.
But what will I give Him?
I will give my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment