A blog about the unexpected pleasures of raising two not so typical, but truly wonderful girls, one of whom was born with a little something extra; and learning each day what is truly important in this blessed life.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Fear of the Known

My former 8th grader is officially a graduate of the lovely school she and most of her classmates attended for 9 years.  They all had their ups and downs but all in all they all felt the love and support of the admin., faculty, and staff of the school each and every year.  I told my graduate that she should feel truly blessed to have had this experience.  Now for the "fear" from the title of the post.  My little one is going to go to the school in the fall as a 1st grader.  She has now been homeschooled since November so she has been out of the classroom routine for quite a while.  When she goes to school in the fall she will have a one on one aid for half the day and then will be included with the rest of the kids the rest of the day.  I am fearful about that portion of the day because even though my lovely daughter has made great gains the past year in all "domains," I can still predict that she will have issues when she is dealing with the portion of the day with no additional support.  She is very social, a good thing normally, but that can be detrimental when she is trying to be social with the other kids during instructional time.  I'm just not sure the school is ready to deal with her and her tendency to distract others and refuse to cooperate.  Her receptive language skills are really good most of the time and her expressive skills are getting better all the time, but her willingness to be lead to comply when she doesn't want to needs major improvement.

So, I'm hoping to see more maturity developing over the next few months and to work with her on staying by my side when we are in stores or other public places; on sticking with a task as long as she can; and on not becoming a distraction to the other kids just because she has decided or felt compelled to check out. 

I've seen her achieve a lot in the past few months, but am still not at the point where I go forward planning for the fall with no trepidation.   Wish it could be so, but it's not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment