A blog about the unexpected pleasures of raising two not so typical, but truly wonderful girls, one of whom was born with a little something extra; and learning each day what is truly important in this blessed life.

Friday, June 4, 2010

Homeschooling ups and downs

As we near the end of the school year and the imminent graduation of my "typical" daughter from 8th grade, I am really in need of a break from the sometimes stresses, and sometimes joys of homeschooling my Kindergartner.  When she is "on," she is really, really on.  She picks up some concepts so easily it's amazing, while other times it is truly like pulling teeth just to get her to stay focused and on task.  She has all the classic traits of "non-compliance," and uses every antic she has in her arsenal to try to get Mom to throw up her hands, give up and walk out of the room.  Well, I don't give up, but there are times, more than I wish to say, that I really want to just get up and walk out.   I pulled her out of our neighborhood public school because they said she was not making "any academic progress," and she was having difficulty with compliance and actually sitting down and working on almost any type of academic work.  I formally requested a paraprofessional to work with her one on one (for a portion of the whopping just over 2 hours of am Kindergarten), but was formally turned down.  I gave it a shot, dutifully dropped her off with hope each morning and picked her up with fingers crossed later on each day; but almost every day came with bad news from the teacher or staff and a truly wonderful little child spinning further and further out of control.  She also did not want to do any work with me after school to try to offset the deficits. 

So, I made the decision to homeschool for the remainder of the year because I knew for sure that the ability was there and that she would benefit from one on one attention and guidance.  I know now that that is absolutely the case, but I also know that I cannot foresee how each day will go.  Will she sit for me and work diligently and fruitfully, or will we end up in a mega battle of wills with little to show for our school time for the day?  I am trying to find that balance between being an effective teacher and not micro-managing her every step of the way.  Is there a magic pill for that somewhere out there?

We are in the process of preparing to place sweet Marisa in 1st grade at our Catholic school in the fall, the same one dear Nadia will graduate from in a few days time.  They want my darling child and have listened patiently to my concerns.  She will get her one on one aid (at our expense!) for the academic subjects, and will participate in a program of partial inclusion.  Not quite what I was hoping for when I joined the Disability community and learned of the great strides made through the years in achieving full inclusion for our kiddos, but I have come to realize that just as no child is "one size fits all" in their wants and needs, that is even more true for those gifted with that extra chromosome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment